What should you do before an IMS treatment?
- Have a light meal
- No alcohol, barbiturate or tranquillizer for 4 hours before treatment
- Do not smoke tobacco for one hour before a treatment
- Continue any other medication as prescribed by your doctor
- Be well rested, if possible
What is included in an IMS treatment?
Your physiotherapist will perform the following, always using clean & safe technique:
- Position you comfortably
- Clean the skin using Stanhexidine (anti bacterial solution)
- Insert the acupuncture needles
- Instruct you to remain still and relax
- Insert needle, moving it in/out of the target muscle tissue
- Remove the needle
- Repeat in other muscles being treated
- Provide after care instructions
What are the therapeutic goals of IMS?
- Reduce pain
- Reduce muscle tension/tone (aka “knots”)
- Reduce symptoms of nerve compression (eg. numbness, tingling)
- Improve muscle activation
- Improve function